Works Houses

© Copyright 2007 - 2021 / Anders Clausson

Worker houses - Karlhäll - Luleå, 1911-1913
For Karlshäll, a building plan was drawn up on the sparsely pine-covered sand between the railway to Karlsvik and the industrial area on the slope down to Notviken. The plan included 30 buildings oriented around a square and along a main street. The first stage would consist of 11 houses (see plan above) with two and three adjoining homes. The main street was in a south-north direction and changed the connecting side to the square in the middle. In this way, the north side of the square could be delimited by a transverse three-family house, which would dampen the blowing of the cold north wind. At the square, a group of trees, benches and a playground were arranged, as well as a well and a laundry and bakery. Each home had a garden plot with outbuildings. Each apartment had a large kitchen and chamber, storage space and a single room in the attic. The kitchen had fixed corner counters and a table, stove, sink and closet. In the stairwell hall and pantry. On the entrance bridge a couple of benches to rest on. In the outbuilding storage space and toilet The attic room under the roof was intended for a shifting householder who needed a day's sleep or for a resident worker. The semi-detached houses had a masonry in the center to which the two stoves and the tiled stoves of the chambers were connected. Only eight houses, of which two were three families, were built along the street towards the square. The houses were built of dry timber on plinths with croft foundations with external and internal board lining. Some simplifications were implemented. The shutters were removed, the turf roof was replaced with tar paper. The latter meant that the windscreens became somewhat oversized and that the eaves became somewhat rudimentary in relation to the building body in general. The outer walls were clad with horizontal phase chipboard, which was common in sawmill communities. Built together with T Stubelius
The last house burned down on November 1, 2003
NYGENSKA CHAPEL In Valdemarsvik's cemetery is the Nygrenska chapel, which beautifully connects to the surrounding nature and through its style and building material is reminiscent of a medieval round church. The chapel was created through a donation by chief accountant Hugo Nygren and was designed by the well-known architect Sigurd Lewerentz. In 1906, the idea arose that Valdemarsvik would have its own cemetery. Since 1877, Valdemarsvik’s church had existed, but there was no cemetery, but the dead could be buried in other cemeteries. The site for the cemetery and the chapel was chosen an elongated depression between two mountain sections. At one of the mountains there are old Bronze Age tombs. Architect Sigurd Lewerentz was hired to design both the cemetery and the burial chapel. The work took a long time, but in January 1917 the final drawings came and a decision on construction and both cemetery and chapel could be inaugurated the same year, the first Sunday in Advent. Chief accountant Hugo Nygren, employed at Lundberg's leather factory, was one of the most eager to hurry to the cemetery and chapel. When the tomb chapel was completed, he announced that he would be solely responsible for the entire financing. As a result of this generosity, the chapel is now called Nygrenska kapellet. He died in 1925 and is buried in the cemetery, near the family grave of manufacturer Lundberg. The chapel's location and building materials connect well with the surrounding nature with its mountains and slopes. The surroundings have also contributed building materials, roughly hewn natural stone. The roof is covered with wood shavings and at the top of the spire in wrought iron is a star placed.The exterior adheres in an old romantic way to old Nordic church architecture. Here there is a connection with both Norwegian stave churches and medieval round churches. Adjacent to the chapel is a long wall and to the stairs down to the cemetery leads a portal, reminiscent of a medieval hatch (cemetery gate) The interior is characterized by the round shape and the whitewashed walls with natural stone well discernible. From the beginning there was a small organ stand above the entrance. It is now gone but a small niche in the wall marks where the grandstand was. A small window directs light at the place where the coffin stands at the funeral service. The twelve light arms and the ceiling luminaire are made of copper. The crucifix in plaster is painted in bronze and donated by Hugo Nygren. The last restoration took place in 2003. Walls and facades received new lime mortar and the chapel received new drainage. Inside, pine panels were removed and new heating and ventilation were installed. The chapel also received a new altar that was provided with a newly renovated antependium, originally seen for Valdemarsvik's church. The votive ship was manufactured in 2006 by artist Bertil Hagander depicting a pilot boat
© Copyright 2007 - 2021/ Anders Clausson  Mail: info@lewerentz.one
More photos