Nygrenska Chapel

© Copyright 2007 - 2021 / Anders Clausson

Nygrenska chapel
In Valdemarsvik's cemetery is the Nygrenska chapel, which beautifully connects to the surrounding nature and through its style and building material is reminiscent of a medieval round church. The chapel was created through a donation by chief accountant Hugo Nygren and was designed by the well-known architect Sigurd Lewerentz. In 1906, the idea arose that Valdemarsvik would have its own cemetery. Since 1877, Valdemarsvik’s church had existed, but there was no cemetery, but the dead could be buried in other cemeteries. The site for the cemetery and the chapel was chosen an elongated depression between two mountain sections. At one of the mountains there are old Bronze Age tombs. Architect Sigurd Lewerentz was hired to design both the cemetery and the burial chapel. The work took a long time, but in January 1917 the final drawings came and a decision on construction and both cemetery and chapel could be inaugurated the same year, the first Sunday in Advent. Chief accountant Hugo Nygren, employed at Lundberg's leather factory, was one of the most eager to hurry to the cemetery and chapel. When the tomb chapel was completed, he announced that he would be solely responsible for the entire financing. As a result of this generosity, the chapel is now called Nygrenska kapellet. He died in 1925 and is buried in the cemetery, near the family grave of manufacturer Lundberg. The chapel's location and building materials connect well with the surrounding nature with its mountains and slopes. The surroundings have also contributed building materials, roughly hewn natural stone. The roof is covered with wood shavings and at the top of the spire in wrought iron is a star placed.The exterior adheres in an old romantic way to old Nordic church architecture. Here there is a connection with both Norwegian stave churches and medieval round churches. Adjacent to the chapel is a long wall and to the stairs down to the cemetery leads a portal, reminiscent of a medieval hatch (cemetery gate) The interior is characterized by the round shape and the whitewashed walls with natural stone well discernible. From the beginning there was a small organ stand above the entrance. It is now gone but a small niche in the wall marks where the grandstand was. A small window directs light at the place where the coffin stands at the funeral service. The twelve light arms and the ceiling luminaire are made of copper. The crucifix in plaster is painted in bronze and donated by Hugo Nygren. The last restoration took place in 2003. Walls and facades received new lime mortar and the chapel received new drainage. Inside, pine panels were removed and new heating and ventilation were installed. The chapel also received a new altar that was provided with a newly renovated antependium, originally seen for Valdemarsvik's church. The votive ship was manufactured in 2006 by artist Bertil Hagander depicting a pilot boat
More photos:
NYGENSKA CHAPEL In Valdemarsvik's cemetery is the Nygrenska chapel, which beautifully connects to the surrounding nature and through its style and building material is reminiscent of a medieval round church. The chapel was created through a donation by chief accountant Hugo Nygren and was designed by the well-known architect Sigurd Lewerentz. In 1906, the idea arose that Valdemarsvik would have its own cemetery. Since 1877, Valdemarsvik’s church had existed, but there was no cemetery, but the dead could be buried in other cemeteries. The site for the cemetery and the chapel was chosen an elongated depression between two mountain sections. At one of the mountains there are old Bronze Age tombs. Architect Sigurd Lewerentz was hired to design both the cemetery and the burial chapel. The work took a long time, but in January 1917 the final drawings came and a decision on construction and both cemetery and chapel could be inaugurated the same year, the first Sunday in Advent. Chief accountant Hugo Nygren, employed at Lundberg's leather factory, was one of the most eager to hurry to the cemetery and chapel. When the tomb chapel was completed, he announced that he would be solely responsible for the entire financing. As a result of this generosity, the chapel is now called Nygrenska kapellet. He died in 1925 and is buried in the cemetery, near the family grave of manufacturer Lundberg. The chapel's location and building materials connect well with the surrounding nature with its mountains and slopes. The surroundings have also contributed building materials, roughly hewn natural stone. The roof is covered with wood shavings and at the top of the spire in wrought iron is a star placed.The exterior adheres in an old romantic way to old Nordic church architecture. Here there is a connection with both Norwegian stave churches and medieval round churches. Adjacent to the chapel is a long wall and to the stairs down to the cemetery leads a portal, reminiscent of a medieval hatch (cemetery gate) The interior is characterized by the round shape and the whitewashed walls with natural stone well discernible. From the beginning there was a small organ stand above the entrance. It is now gone but a small niche in the wall marks where the grandstand was. A small window directs light at the place where the coffin stands at the funeral service. The twelve light arms and the ceiling luminaire are made of copper. The crucifix in plaster is painted in bronze and donated by Hugo Nygren. The last restoration took place in 2003. Walls and facades received new lime mortar and the chapel received new drainage. Inside, pine panels were removed and new heating and ventilation were installed. The chapel also received a new altar that was provided with a newly renovated antependium, originally seen for Valdemarsvik's church. The votive ship was manufactured in 2006 by artist Bertil Hagander depicting a pilot boat
© Copyright 2007 - 2021/ Anders Clausson  Mail: info@lewerentz.one
More photos